Sunday, August 28, 2011

Our Time in PA

First let me say that we were following the news of hurricane Irene as it made it's way up the coast, hoping for the best for our family and friends but not missing having to deal with another hurricane.

For the first time since we have been gone we unloaded the garage.  Mark got the bike out and washed it up getting it ready for bike night, Yeah we finally get to ride.  Back in 98 Doug & Patti introduced us to Quaker, Steak and Lube in Sharon PA.  It is a unique restaurant to say the least, there is a semi truck on the roof, cars and motorcycles hang from the ceiling in side with all kinds of memorabilia through out the establishment.  My dad would have loved this place!  We go here anytime we are in town, it is the original Quaker, Steak and Lube.  There are other locations but none compare to this one, they are known for their wings.  Anyway, we met up with Doug and had a wonderful ride to Sharon.  The weather has just been great, low humidity, cool evenings and a welcome change from what we left back home.  It felt so good to be on the bike.







See the semi on the roof


Mark & Doug


Doug, Patti, Gypsy Girl & Mark


Thursday we went to go visit my Aunt June who is 89 and doing great.  She is such a fine lady.  We didn't tell her that we were coming and it was great fun to surprise her.



Friday we went for a ride on the bike into New Wilmington PA, stopped at the Cheese House and picked up some local Amish cheese and popcorn (It is suppose to be hulless and tasty-I will report later on my findings). 



 Just before we walked out of the store I spotted these clocks.  Do any of you remember these, or am I telling my age.  I haven't seen one of these since I was a little girl.  My Aunt Doris had a red one and at the time I thought it was the coolest clock with the eyes and tail moving.

Later that evening we went to Doug & Patti's for a cookout at the cottage by the river.  They own a beautiful place on 150 acres.  When they bought the property there was this cottage by river and it is a wonderful place for gatherings.  It is so tranquil to have a fire going and hear the water rushing by.  Wish we could get the Caravan in there as it would be a perfect place to stay awhile.  Next time we may just have to park the Caravan some where and stay in the cottage.  We promise we will earn our keep.  If there is one thing I can do it is mow grass.  


                                                 Thank you both for a wonderful evening


Saturday we went back to Doug & Patti's.  Patti and I went to the store to do some shopping for the cookout at our place tonight and Doug took Mark out on the 4 wheeler riding through trails and to show him the Gravel/Sand operation that was taking place on their property.
I would liked to have seen it in operation with all the trucks and equipment moving around, it was pretty impressive.  Once Patti & I got back, Mark did some metal detecting around the cottage and Doug then took me out on the 4 wheeler. 

Birds live in these holes on the side of the hills created by the digging.  They have all these beautiful trees to make homes in and pick the side of a sand hill, kind of weird. 

We headed back to the Caravan to prepare for the cookout with the family.  My cousin Bill and his wife Marci picked up June on their way out.  So glad she could make it.

Bill, Marci, Patti, Doug, June & Me.

It was so nice to be able to spend time with my family.  Thank you everyone for making it a memorable visit.

Sunday we loaded everything up and then just relaxed.  I am happy to say that no one back home had any serious damage from Hurricane Irene.  Headed to Howe IN tomorrow to the DRV factory to see how the Caravan was built and have a few minor issues addressed.

                                                                       All is good...

  

No comments:

Post a Comment