Monday, October 8, 2012

The Past Month

Now that Labor Day is past things have begun to slow down at the Sugar Barge.  I have been busy all summer in my off time creating jewelry for my first showing of Caravan Jewelry on September 12th.  I had the party in the club house complete with wine and food.








For months I racked my brain thinking about how I could display the earrings and not have the display take up alot of room as space is so limited.  I decided to use closet shelving, stand it on end and zip tied it together.  When the show was over I simply cut the ties, wrapped it in bubble wrap and stowed it in my closet.







I am happy to report that it was a huge success and I thank everyone that came and purchased my jewelry.  After the party I continued to sell more items and had several custom orders.

I'm working on get an online store setup on Etsy which is a website that sells handmade and vintage items.  Unfortunately Caravan Jewelry is not available as someone already has that name, so my new name will be.....  "Wandering Designs".  Once the store is setup I will provide a link on the blog so you check out my jewelry and do your Christmas shopping! 

==================

Moving on, I had my 39th (I wish) birthday on the 14th and Mark and I celebrated 23 years of wedded bliss on the 20th. 

===================

The summer season is winding down and some lucky workampers are preparing to move to new locations.  One couple, Bruce and Barbara Smith will be the first ones to leave.  They are headed to Fernley NV where Bruce will work for Amazon.  We all got together for a going away potluck dinner and campfire.  I can't say that we are not jealous.

Bruce is on the right, just look at that smile on his face.

Next to leave will be George and Stephanie who are headed to Mesa AZ.

They were my wine drinking buddies.  Just look at George with a glass in each hand! 
Sorry guys I never got a picture of your better halves.

Next to leave was Paul and Alisha.  She worked in the office with us girls and Paul who is a electrical engineer that travels from job to job was working nearby.  They moved to Gilroy CA where he will be working in San Jose on a new job.

But first the happy couple will be married Oct 27th.  We wish you great happiness.  Alisha ordered custom jewelry for her brides maids.

I'm honored to have my jewelry in her wedding!


Barb and Larry were next to leave headed to Mesa as well where they will meet up with George and Stephanie.


Larry was our resident mechanic buying cars, fixing them up and selling them. 

                Chandra is my good friend and the book keeper for Sugar Barge, I will really miss her.


We have made new friendships and everyone has enriched our life's.  We wish you all safe travels and see you down the road.


As for us we will be the last to leave as I fly out on the 9th of Oct to WV for Peep Week.  We worked the first weekend in Oct with Sunday being our last day.  Actually Mark worked 3 additional days training the new workampers.  It has been a great ride and we have enjoyed ourselves but don't plan on staying in one place for six months again.  There is too much to see and do.  The summer months kept us busy but things have really slowed down at the Barge and it is turning cold so it is time to head south.  We will depart on the 19th or 20th. 

======================

On the 19th we went to Napa Valley Wine country for the day. 




We did a wine tasting at O'Brien Estate Winery.  An estate winery only uses grapes that they grow.  It is a small operation on 33 acres ran by one couple who live on the winery.  You will sit out in their backyard enjoying wine as you as told their story.  Then tour the actual winery. 






I thought these cactus gardens were the coolest things made out of wine barrel ribs.

I kept seeing all these roses planted at the end of the rows and found out that they are use for indication of mildew on the grapes which of course is a serious problem. 



Above and below are fans that are put in use when frost threatens the crops.




We had a nice time during our visit.  You enter Napa on Hwy 29 which carries you through the commercialized areas with winery after winery but we thought the best part was taking the back route which is Silverado Trail.  It carries you through beautiful grape fields as far as the eye can see, it is what you think of when you think of Napa.

                                          ===================================

Our next trip was to Montery and Carmel with Justin and Liz, they are workampers that do security for the Barge.  Both of them have gone back to school and will be moving to Montery in January.  They need to take care of some school paperwork so we decided to all go together as they knew the area and could show us around.  Paul had just moved his rig to Gilroy leaving behind Alisha's car so Justin and Liz drove it to the campground and we picked them up.  Gilroy CA is a huge producer of garlic, we just missed the festival but oh my the town smelled sooooo good!  There shouldn't be any evil spirits in this town.
We checked out some campgrounds for our next stop once we leave the barge but didn't find anything that will work for us.  Justin and Liz will be walking distance to this beach once they move.





Now these beaches remind me of back home on the east coast of NC, but OMG the water was cold.

Justin & Liz

Next we headed to downtown Monterey to check out the pier. 







 A really big thing is the clam chowder that every restaurant/cafe offers.  You walk down the pier and they offer you a tasting saying theirs is the best and try to tempt you into their establishment for lunch.  By the time you get done tasting all of them you have had your lunch!



We finally decided where to eat and enjoyed a wonderful lunch outside while watching the sights.






Next we headed to Carmel, the drive along the coast was beautiful. 


Mark had been reading about the Missions along the coast so we visited the one in Carmel.  It was after they had closed so we didn't get to go inside but it was very impressive.  



The mission settlements were situated approximately 30 miles apart, so that they were separated by one day's long ride on horseback (or three days on foot) along the 600-mile long "California Mission Trail."
 Tradition has it that the padres sprinkled mustard seeds along the trail in order to mark it with bright yellow flowers. 


 The greater portion of El Camino Real is Highway 101 and is marked by the unique and picturesque Mission Bell Guideposts which originally gave distances between the principal towns and directions to the Missions.



                              So far we haven't experienced one of these and I hope we don't.

                                   ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

                       On Sunday our last day of work Mark disposed of his work shirts in an unusual fashion...


Kind of scary how fast they went up in flames.



  Next stop for me is Capon Bridge WV for a whole glorious week with my Sistahs!


                                               Thanks for following and have a great day.




No comments:

Post a Comment