Thursday, October 13, 2011

Garage Repair & Other Stuff

The 16' trailer that I tow is called "The Garage", it's just like almost everybody elses garage-full of stuff with no vehicle in it.  While we were in Flaming Gorge,UT we got the bike and golf cart out which was only the second time since we started the trip.   We noticed that the plywood was bending down when stepped on so once we got to Fernley we inspected it and discovered that the supporting floor beam had bent from the weight and bounce of going down the road.  The rear tires of the golf cart sit on this beam along with the weight of 6 batteries.  This subject was brought up at the Moose one night and one of the patrons worked at a welding shop and told us to bring it to him.

The beam is thin metal and bent, it is hard to see in this picture.

 The decision was made to first straighten out the beam and then reinforce it with thick angle iron.

Angle iron installed


We also added the two short pieces right where the golf cart tires sit for more added support.  Job complete and it only cost $100, good to go!

Other Stuff

One thing I didn't sell was my dehydrator which I use for making Jerky.  I store it under the bed and came across it when I got out the down comforter as the temps will be getting into the 20's, burr!  It was not our plan to be in cold weather but we will be so it is time to get prepared.  Speaking of cold weather we have decided not to put heat tape on the water hose and just fill up the fresh water tank which will hold 100 gallons of water and refill during the day when needed. Sorry I got off track, jerky.  This time when I made the marinate I wrote down everything that I put in it so I can then adjust where needed.  Usually I put whatever I have in it and hope for the best.  If it turns out really good I can't remember what I used, I think that's called getting old :(


I partially freeze the meat (London Broil-on sale of course) which makes it easier to cut.  Another thing I didn't sell was my carving knife (a Christmas present from my mother-in-law 23 yrs ago) because it makes quick work of the job.  No I don't put red wine in the marinate, what's that saying-I always cook with red wine, sometimes I even put it in food!


I marinate it for 48hrs turning it when I think about it.

I decided to put the meat on around 11pm before we went to bed so the noise of the machine wouldn't bother us during the day and the heat it puts off would be an added benefit.


                                                                  Bingo Bam, jerky!
                  It turned out pretty good but next time I will add a little more heat to the marinate.

Let's see what else have I been doing...ah yes, dish towels.

I discovered flour sack dish towels about a year ago and just love them as they dry so quickly.  There is nothing worse then a sour dish towel or dish rag, yuck!  I even use them as hand towels in the bathroom.  They are a generous size around 30" square so I cut them in quarters, hem the raw edges and I have 4 dish rags. 


Yes I realize that there are 5 dish rags in the picture, just go with it OK.

In the past I have put designs on them with permanent fabric markers and have also dyed them. 


Sometimes I will just use them as they are (white) until they get dingy or have stains on them, then I put designs on the stains and dye them.


The finished result.
  Stay tuned as I have plans for some other designs.  I might even try selling them on Esty.


Bug Bite


Soon into our trip I noticed a bite on the back of my leg and didn't think to much of it.  Well, it seemed like it was getting better and then it got worse- red, swollen, and hard.  So I finally went to the doctor and the decision was made to lance it open and then pack it every other day.  A culture was done and no infection was noted.  I am happy to report that it is healing up nicely.  The only reason I bring up this subject is the fact that I want to pass on some good information that I got from my BF TammyWaters.   She told me of a salve that she used once when she had a bite.  It is called Goldline Ichthammol ointment 20% also known as Black Tar Salve.  It is an old timey drawing ointment that works.  You can get it at any drug store and don't need a prescription.  Put it on the bite and cover with a band aid as soon as possible.  It does have a smell but it is worth it.  I have some already on hand for the next bug bite one of us may get. Sure wish I had known about it before as it would have saved me 3 visits to the doctor and yet another scare on my body.  

Well that about wraps things up, have a great day!          





No comments:

Post a Comment